Marlin began her experience in the container in food industry (including raw materials, formulation and properties) working for Owens Illinois – Venezuela and Feldespatos Procesados (Feldspars Mine).
During her PhD studies at the University of Madrid, she focused on the formulation of bioactive glasses and the use of glass-ceramic processing science in biomaterials. The work was focused on the devitrification and crystallisation study of CaSiO3 and Ca3(PO4)2 glasses as a preliminary stage to obtaining these biomaterial in large pieces and complex shapes with controlled microstructures. This was the first step to develop CaSiO3-Ca3(PO4)2 implants with better bioactivity and improved mechanical properties.
Marlin worked with three research institutions during her PhD which were located in different countries: Spanish National Research Council (ICV-CSIC), Queen Mary University of London, and the Institute of Biomedical Engineering in Portugal. This range of experience has given Marlin a strong background in the field of biomaterials design, and chemical, structural, mechanical, and in vitro characterisation of Biomaterials (including stem cell culture studies).
During her postdoctoral experience, she worked in composite (glass/glass-ceramic and polymer) biomaterial at the National Institute for Applied Sciences of Lyon (INSA-Lyon), France. She designed glass-ceramics and studied the interaction between glass-ceramic articles and polymer matrices. She has worked also as Scientific and Technical consultant for aerospace industry, working in the characterisation of different materials for space applications, including composite: fiberglass / epoxy at INVAP S.E. (Argentine).
Dr Marlin Magallanes' Publishings:
- Model composites based on poly(Lactic acid) and bioactive glass fillers for bone regeneration
- Laser powder bed fusion of soda lime silica glass: Optimisation of processing parameters and evaluation of part properties
- The use of controlled dissolution glasses to consolidate and create permeable or impermeable minerals in formation
- Effects of alumina on the thermal processing of apatite-wollastonite: Changes in sintering, microstructure and crystallinity of compressed pellets
- Osteoinduction of 3D printed particulate and short-fibre reinforced composites produced using PLLA and apatite-wollastonite
- Structural changes during crystallization of apatite and wollastonite in the eutectic glass of Ca3(PO4)2-CaSiO3 system
- Bioactivity modulation of Bioglass ® powder by thermal treatment
- Structure and properties of bioactive eutectic glasses based on the Ca 3(PO 4) 2-CaSiO 3-CaMg(SiO 3) 2 system
- Bone-like forming ability of apatite-wollastonite glass ceramic
- Isotropic micropatterned silica coatings on zirconia induce guided cell growth for dental implants
- In vitro study of the proliferation and growth of human bone marrow cells on apatite-wollastonite-2M glass ceramics
- Devitrification studies of wollastonite-tricalcium phosphate eutectic glass
- Non-isothermal devitrification study of wollastonite-tricalcium phosphate bioeutectic® glass