On 9 October 1954, the department became a separate commercial entity.
Then on 6 June 1959, it opened its own building and laboratories, becoming known as the British Glass Industry Research Association (BGIRA).
In 1988, BGIRA merged with the Glass Manufacturers Federation to form the British Glass Manufacturers' Confederation. At this time, British Glass Technology formed as a separate, independent entity to continue the essential work carried out under BGIRA’s research arm.
In 1999, British Glass Technology was officially renamed as Glass Technology Services – taking on the name we have to this day.
In 2003, having outgrown our existing facilities, we relocated to purpose-built premises with state-of-the-art laboratories, warehousing and offices. They facilitate the growing support we’re providing across the glass supply chain, and the seemingly exponential growth in demand for product testing, verification of standards, research, development and troubleshooting.
We continue to provide the international glass supply chain – from raw material suppliers to consumers – with expertise that ensures standards are met and issues are investigated and resolved. We continually look to the future, working with partners to innovate and develop new technologies and products.